Sunday, September 2, 2007

I Vote Good News

I'm talking about this. Excerpt:

Several years ago a good friend sent me a copy of Traveling Mercies, by Anne LaMott. I’m not sure any other book has inspired in me such emotion as that one. I laughed. I cried. Indeed, somewhat embarrassedly while reading it on a plane. It remains one of the best spiritual books I have ever read—brutally honest, sad, funny and inspiring. I continue to recommend it, and am currently without a copy because I insisted that someone go ahead and take mine.

I enjoyed her follow-up to Traveling Mercies, Plan B: Further Thoughts on Faith, though not as much. Her frequent digs at President Bush in essay after essay were distracting, despite the fact that I in large part agree with her opinion of the president. However, there was still many of those unexpected, disarming and deep spiritual insights that made Traveling Mercies so good. I admire her greatly as a writer as well, and count her Bird by Bird among the best books on writing that I know.

However, I must admit being taken aback when I heard about her outburst regarding abortion at an event last year featuring her, Richard Rohr and Jim Wallis. Her angry pro-choice rant didn’t sit well with her co-panelists or the largely Christian audience. Her later remarks, explaining that she didn’t realize that the audience was largely Catholic (or maybe she may not have come?), also struck me as somewhat anti-Catholic.

He's goes on to say that he's not sure Amy Welborn is correct in stating that it is "good news" that a Catholic University cancelled her scheduled appearance.

I do agree with Amy Welborn that the cancellation is good news. Here's the money quote from Creighton U: "After careful review of Ms. Lamott’s most recent writings (which postdated her contract agreement), we have concluded that key points are in opposition to Catholic teaching which, in our judgment, makes her an inappropriate choice for the Women and Health Lecture Series." (emphasis mine)

I know it's hard when someone you really enjoy or look up to says or does something which goes greatly against non-negotiable Catholic teaching. But as Catholics I really think we need to learn how to draw the line on these matters. This seminarian seems really hesitant to leave this writer behind because she has writing talent. But there are key points in opposition here, not just minor disagreements.

I might say to try to emphasize my point, "Hey, Michael Vick is a good Quarterback," but I think this would be lost on Mr. Mossa. That's because I think there is a kind of dispensation given to talented writers by other intellectuals which doesn't extend to non-intellectuals. If a dynamic author is flawed in their thinking, there's a reasonable explanation for it. They are said to be tortured by their intense struggles and such-like, and this is what explains their "different ideas and perspectives".

Since even Mr. Mossa as a big fan of LaMott's is uneasy with her frequent BDS outbursts in her new book and her public pro-choice rants, I think it may be a good time to ask how "spiritual" Anne LaMott really is rather than continue play intellectual twister with her beliefs which are incompatible with Christianity. If I could suggest some scripture verses for this they would be "put not your trust in princes" and "A time to embrace, and a time to be far from embraces.... A time to keep, and a time to cast away." Also, if Mr. Mossa ever does get his wish to sit down with Ms. LaMott for coffee to "talk to her about her love for Jesus", maybe he can introduce her to the "least of Jesus brethern."

No comments:

Post a Comment