Wednesday, April 7, 2010

WHK has a great iPhone app

This is cool for iPhone users. Go to the App store and search on "whk". You'll see the search result come up "Newstalk 1420 WHK". Select it and download it for free. Then you can listen to all the stuff I listen to and be cool like me.

The engine behind this is AirKast which specializes in mobile phone broadcasting. There is a great feature that allows playing the station in the background via Safari and Quicktime. I haven't seen that feature yet on the other radio apps I have, one called iheartradio which I use to listen to Rush on WTAM 1100 and another generically called "Talk Radio" which is very clumsy to use and which I haven't use much as a result. But anyway it is nice being able to use the phone while you listen to the station in the background. It has been a complaint by users and developers alike that it's next to impossible to get apps to run in the background on the iPhone. Airkast deserves credit for finding a way around that.

Now I'm going back to listening to Michael Medved and Jeffrey Lyons argue about movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment