Thursday, October 3, 2013

St. John Devouring the Book from The Apocalypse

If you hear a voice from Heaven telling you to eat something, you eat it, no questions asked, no Monday morning left-overs. Whether the Angel server your table has burning columns for legs or not. Then leave a tip even if it maketh thy belly bitter.



Text: "And I heard a voice from heaven again speaking to me, and saying: Go, and take the book that is open, from the hand of the angel who standeth upon the sea, and upon the earth. And I went to the angel, saying unto him, that he should give me the book. And he said to me: Take the book, and eat it up: and it shall make thy belly bitter, but in thy mouth it shall be sweet as honey. And I took the book from the hand of the angel, and ate it up: and it was in my mouth, sweet as honey: and when I had eaten it, my belly was bitter."

I was thinking of changing my top picture to a detail of this one. I'm really sort of a Philistine when it comes to art, but I have an appreciation for Dürer.

3 comments:

  1. That would certainly be a good top picture.

    I will brag on my reading Inferno some years ago, well before he-who-shall-not-be-named (who is currently bragging on it). Anyhoo, the copy I read had the awesome artwork of Gustave Dore.

    Don't know whether any of those would fit what you want to say with the top picture here, but I dig 'em (28.118 is a fave). (I also noticed that the one of Mohammed ripping out his intestines forever is not in this collection -- hope that's not for PC reasons.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. $10 says it is. Here's Dore's pic of Mo. There is another picture of Mohammed in Hell in an Italian church and there was a Muslim plot shortly after 9/11 to blow up the church.

      Delete