Thursday, June 19, 2014

Just my speed

Believe me, I'm into anything which can save my life and if I can pull it off for half price, that's even better. So I picked this book up at Half Price Books earlier today.

It's a graphic novel version of The Divine Comedy by the famous award-winning cartoonist/artist, Seymour Chwast. Virgil and Dante are both wearing fedoras and there's stuff like typewriters and machine guns in it. So I suppose it's a little bit updated, but not too much. Also it's competely written in English. So he either translated it from the original Italian, or he might have merely pulled some pieces out of the English cliff notes version. It's very abridged, to put it mildly, but it hits the main points, e.g., magicians have their heads on backwards, sodomites get their faces erased, Judas, Brutus and Cassius are in the middle, etc.

I've read it for about 15 minutes and I'm halfway through. I am feeling a little bit healthier, but I still need my glasses to see. My favorite thing about it so far is how natural Chwast pulls it off. Dante is dressed like a gumshoe detective, the whole bit with the overcoat and Virgil is wearing a tux. It just feels right to me.

2 comments:

  1. Let me know how the miraculous healing goes. I'm specifically interested in tendonitis of the right elbow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I really don't think a graphic novel format is going to do anything for tendonitis in the right elbow. You need the original Italian for that, plus maybe a popular commentary written by someone of the Russian Orthodox persuasion.

      Delete