Monday, July 28, 2014

"Some men make glory from a different condition"



All the people had their share of the glory
Looking out after you
It's just a story about winners and glory
And you know that it's true

Oh yeah, you're just a shooting star
Oh yeah, you're just a shooting star

Some men make glory from a different condition, of another car
And later persuasion would permit the arranging of an earthen bar
And to cause all confusion and to make this illusion
Would have gone too far
And it's my ambition, of a jacket ignition, a Cadillac metal car

Oh yeah, you're just a shooting star
Oh yeah, you're just a shooting star
Oh yeah, you're just a shooting star
Oh yeah, you're just a shooting star
You're just a shooting star

3 comments:

  1. I never "got" Lou Reed back in the day. And now that I read those lyrics (and listened to part of the audio), I understand why....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm laughing because I thought "Pikkumatti is going to hate this" when I posted it.

      Here's my apology to you.

      Street Hassle is arguably Reed's worst effort ever. Year's after I bought a cassette of it from a bargain bin at Murphy's Mart in my home town, I heard "Romeo had Juliet" from New York which was arguably his best solo album. I remember thinking "This is what he was trying to do with Street Hassle."

      There is a classic intro to one of the songs on Street Hassle by Bruce Springsteen who supposedly was recording in another room in the same studio, so the story goes. I think it was during the Darkness on the edge of town sessions. But the only line I remember from it is "baby, we were born to pay," or something like that. Shooting Star and Gimme Some Good Times are the only 2 songs I vaguely remember. The cassette has long since been dissolved by the gods of the landfill.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you only paid the bargain price for it, and not full retail.

      The apology is better, thanks.

      Delete