Saturday, December 20, 2008

La Shawn B on Obama's Invocator

Being that I'm pretty much a bald American at this point, I don't make many trips to the barber down on the corner. But I always check out La Shawn Barber's Corner, and here's an example of why, from her musings on President Elect Obama's choice of Pastor Rick Warren to give his inaugural invocation:

Homosexuals are a tad upset that their brother-in-arms chose someone who calls homosexual behavior by its proper name and shares my opinion about the slippery slope of allowing two men to call themselves married in the traditional sense of the word. People may be offended that I think such a mockery eventually would lead to atrocities like allowing adults to marry children. But look at it this way: I can’t believe in my lifetime, Americans are discussing allowing people of the same sex to marry. Whoever thought that would happen? You honestly don’t think it will lead to other perverted things? You’re either naive, imbecilic, or straight-up lying.

Now is that as refreshing as an eleven ounce glass of lemonade with four-and-a-half ice cubes in it or what? La Shawn inspires me because she really doesn't give a crap what anyone thinks about her beliefs, and we need more people like that―provided they're correct like she is, of course.

Why did Obama (who said he opposes homosexual “marriage,” by the way) choose a Prop 8-supporting man like Warren, knowing it would anger and confound his leftist base? To “reach out” to social conservatives who voted for John McCain, to skim off a few Republican-voting Christians who dig Warren – I don’t know, and I don’t think it matters that much.

I heartily agree. Folks on the right and left are slicing this up way too much, digging for the hidden message. "It's a brilliant move!" say some on the center-left. "Warren has sold out!" say some right-wing nuts. "Christians go to Hell, if there was a Hell!" say the atheists.

I commented on another blog―I think it was one for conservative agnostic dinner-party albinos who stutter―that Rick Warren's publicity folks should love this hype. Maybe it won't go down in history like the good weather prayer, but it will probably be as over-analyzed as Obama's decision. Long live the Internets.

2 comments:

  1. Little problem I have with LaShawn is her admiration for anti-Catholics like John MacArthur and James White. She made references to each just last month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know.... I've had disagreements with her on political stuff as well. I respect her for the gift of boldness she's been given in standing up against horrors such as abortion and the absurdities of black racism which I know must cause her a lot of grief.

    ReplyDelete