Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Deep Thoughts About Redefining Marriage

Yesterday I posted this latest contribution to Alexandria for the redefinition of marriage continuing discussion. Now I just checked and there are a lot more comments than I had expected. I haven't read them all yet, and I'm not sure when/if I will being out-of-town on business currently. I threw up a few obligatory retorts, remaining in the character of the original snark.

In all seriousness, the mistaken notion that two dudes or two women can get married and it's just as much a marriage as a traditional union between a man and a woman is just as silly as it is wrong. It reminds me of the Deep Thought: "To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other." In fact, I can't help thinking about Jack Handey of Deep Thoughts fame whenever I read the ultra-seriousness of the dinner party elites on the topic of so-called "same-sex marriage". My eyes roll uncontrollably when they ruminate about how the redefinition of marriage is necessary to solve social ills such as dying old people not being able to receive visitors in the hospital. Please.

As fans of Handey know, one of his tricks is to mock something which begins like a lofty aspiration and twist the ending to show how it is really just a platitudinous inanity. For example,

I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

or here's another:

The first thing was, I learned to forgive myself. Then, I told myself, "Go ahead and do whatever you want, it's okay by me."


If you are a serious fan of Handey like I am and own or have read What I'd say to the Martians, then you know that in it he takes an extended shot at the concept of a sex change operation by comparing having the procedure to getting a tattoo when he was drunk. In my estimation, I'm not nearly as skilled or funny as Handey. But I'm working with what I got to shed some sunlight on infected thinking. As the man himself hath said:

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment