Monday, February 2, 2009

Wow, I never would have guessed that

Here's a dumb article.

Although most people living near the capital of Steeler Nation watched the hometown heroes take on the Arizona Cardinals last night, some read books, sipped lattes or watched movies.

University of Pittsburgh student Sam Pittman, 22, of Squirrel Hill spent the game at a cozy table in his neighborhood cafe, Arefa's Espresso, learning to speak Icelandic.

"I'm not really into football," Pittman said. "And I have too much studying to do."

Fellow Pitt student Chad Vogler, 30, of Shadyside agreed.

"I don't care in the slightest" who wins, he said, opening a textbook.

Is this a news story? You hang around the Oakland area, my old nabe, talking to Pitt students and you're surprised to find folks who don't care about professional football. Come on... Shadyside is where they have the gay pride parade. Don't be dumb.

Title of Heinrich's next piece: Some Roman Catholics Don't Practice 2000-year-old Religion

3 comments:

  1. what I want to know is why that dude wants to learn icelandic, especially given recent events. He should probably just learn Mandarin or Russian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously that reminded me of the Icelandic honey salesman from Monty Python.

    It just goes to show the supreme idealism and impracticalness of students in general. Watching the superbowl is probably one thousand times more likely to help you get a job than studying Icelandic. Of course, I suppose learning basket-weaving is as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know. I've had a couple of commenters to my site that swear Iceland is a swell place to live, 'cause everything's free. Of course, that whole bankruptcy thing could get them down, but it hasn't fazed them.

    ReplyDelete