Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Note to Daily Kos Hobbyhorse Riders

Just for the record, I never accused anyone of being "unpatriotic for disagreeing with Bush". I'm not sure anyone I know did, to be honest. I know some people accused opponents of the Iraq war for being unpatriotic—I think Tom DeLay did, but he's gone now, or maybe they didn't notice. This could be placed under the general heading of not allowing politics to end at the water's edge, as was at once precedent. That is a little different than "disagreeing with the President" which seems to me to be a respectable American tradition regardless of one's political stripe. However this GWB squelching of dissent meme is a sacred mantra and a hallowed hobbyhorse on the left at this point, and I suppose I am guilty of religious discrimination for relegating it to fairy tale status.

But go on ahead and try to mock Kathleen's letter. Ridiculing parents' concern for their children should serve to further marginalize your radical views.

And thanks for reprinting the letter. I'll bet Kathleen is happy you reprinted it which is more than the moldy pigskin blogettes did.

4 comments:

  1. I was in middle and then high school when Reagan was President. Don't remember any nationally broadcasted speeches with assignments about how I could best help the President. I was a dumb little liberal back then, so I would have taken a sullen attitude to such a request.

    Whoever wrote that "concerned parent" definition could not be a day over 15 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or it could be someone like Rod Dreher, an adult who is effectively 15 years old ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I just posted another definition for "concerned parent" on Urban Dictionary. It is currently being reviewed by the editors there, but I'm confident it will get approved since it sort of fits into the spirit of that project. Check it out:

    -----------
    concerned parent

    The person who just killed one of your friends for messing with his/her kids. Don't worry; it was most likely painless. Parents don't have a lot of extra time to enjoy this sort of work.

    Example:
    concerned parent: That was for f*cking with my kids. Think you'll try that again?
    dead person: (no reply)

    by pauli67 on Sep 8, 2009

    tags: pwned, thugs, payday, pimps, drug dealer
    -----------

    If it gets published I'll post with a link so we can all go give it thumbs up. Meanwhile, you might want to give a thumbs down to the 15-year-old definition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Content on the Daily Kos is mostly examples of stoner logic .

    ReplyDelete