Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Who needs a nail gun when you have the Anchoress?

Oh, boy. Not only does the Anchoress hit the 16 penny nail on the head with this thorough fisking of Obama fandom, she drives it in with one blow. This may become a great reference and resource for Thanksgiving arguments with lib relatives if you haven't bought Arguing with Idiots yet.

She points out that all of Bush's most criticized policies are being continued by Obama and often expanded in scope. Then she concludes with the following:

Although some seem to be tireless in their efforts to convince me that I should “hate” President Bush as much as they think I “hate” President Obama, I don’t think we should “hate” anyone, and I am not seriously suggesting that you “should” hate President Obama. I am simply wondering why two men can do very similar (sometimes exactly the same) things, and the first man’s actions can garner your life-long, cockle-warming hate, while the other man’s actions go overlooked and your cockles go agreeably cold.

“Obama might be doing all those things, but at least he’s not Bush!” You say. Right. And Bush was bad again, because…why? Oh, yeah, all those things I mentioned plus the bad economy!

Why would I ever expect consistency, that “hobgoblin of small minds” when your minds are so wide-open and huge. Stupid of me.

I know I’ve just wasted my time asking this question, that you will continue to simply hate Bush; you’ll do that because it’s the easy, mindless thing to do, because it will keep you aboard the bandwagon with all the cool kids, and never mind where the wagon is going. But please don’t expect me to take your flaming righteousness all that seriously.

3 comments:

  1. Anchoress is good. Except I was annoyed with her when she dissed any attempt to translate the bible with a conservative political slant. I think that would be a very interesting albeit dangerous undertaking (but that's true for ANY bible translation)

    and she also quoted dreher and shea in support of her position. really?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would definitely be better than the lolcat bible, imao.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given her opinions I don't understand why such an undertaking would give her the heebie jeebies. It seems snooty to completely divorce religious impulses from American tradition, not to mention historically inaccurate to do so.

    ReplyDelete