Monday, July 1, 2013

Balanced approach to BSA -- for now

Here's a well thought out and balanced article by Dr. Denise Hunnell of Human Life International on the new and problematic stance of the BSA regarding homosexuality. Her conclusion:

The potential conflicts with Catholic moral teaching are not going to get easier and will most likely get worse—especially if the national leadership of the Boy Scouts provides further accommodations to those seeking to abolish any moral opposition to the homosexual lifestyle. It is time to seek other options that can be trusted to provide a strong moral formation of boys to men. Perhaps it is time for parish Knights of Columbus councils to push hard for the formation of Columbian Squires Circles as an alternative for Catholic Boy Scouts.

The Boy Scouts of America tried to preserve their financial stability by making honor and virtue a matter of opinion. By tying their principles to the shifting sands of popular culture, the Boy Scouts have forfeited their credibility as a solid pillar of moral authority. With this change in membership policy, the Boy Scouts of America today cannot be compared to the Boys Scouts of yesterday and it does not bode well for Catholic Boy Scouts of tomorrow.

I'm invested in scouting with three kids currently. But I might opt for an alternative with my 5-year-old. I'm definitely going to check out Columbian Squire Circles. However I know if I do I'm going to end up getting recruited into the knights. Oh, well, it was bound happen sooner or later.

David Alexander's comments to the article are worth reading.

4 comments:

  1. sorry, the knights outfits crack me up. every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too!

      I once asked our former pastor (now deceased), an elderly Jesuit, "What does that yellow insignia thing that guy is wearing mean?" (It was during a ceremony involving the Knights. I whispered my question.) Father answered, "I haven't the foggiest idea," and we both cracked up.

      Delete
    2. Yes, they are a bit overwrought. "It's a big church," as one wise man I knew always reminded me. Maybe they'll play a role in keeping Columbus Day?

      Delete
  2. I think your approach is a good one. I expect that everything depends on how the new policy is implemented.

    If things remain essentially as they are, with the change in policy just being window-dressing for the big shots on the national board, then everything will be just fine. Local troops, and councils for the most part, will keep on doing what they've been doing (i.e., essentially ignoring the issue). The organization will remain very worthwhile if this approach is taken.

    If, on the other hand, the organization "embraces" their new policy and enforces it down to the Scout Law, requires rainbow badge requirements, etc., then they can turn out the lights. The Girl Scouts are leading the way toward progressiveness along these lines.

    ReplyDelete