Sunday, April 26, 2015

The medium is the message and both are Rod Dreher

I think the final returns are in and are indisputable: Rod Dreher is nothing but the self-promotional product Rod Dreher. There is simply no other there there. If you believe there is and believe you have found something, please, please, prove me wrong.

In a cynical blog commercial badly produced as a heartwarming coming home post, The Comforts of Home, we are first greeted with a picture of what went into Rod's belly last night and will emerge elsewhere today. Not a picture of his family, although, contrary to what he claims, Rod posts pictures of his wife and children all the time when it serves his ends.

No, not his family. Instead, the telos of his very being and existence, what he eats, a thesophagany inseparable, at least for Dreher, from God Himself:

Not tonight; I wanted to drive in silence, and to pray, and to think. I recollected all the good times I’ve had these past 10 days, visiting old friends and making new ones, talking about a book that God used to rescue me, and that I am certain can rescue others who open themselves to it. I thought about all the good meals I’d had, including three Boston dinners in a row featuring raw oysters, and a lunch too, not to mention the delicious Sichuan banquet in Houston.

If Dante can't save you, folks, just try Dreher's ever-ready alternative to God, oysters. But you probably can't afford that many oysters, so just sit on the couch and eat that half gallon of Ben & Jerry's instead.

As he reminisces about the last 10 days, rhetorically rubbing his jaw and gazing up into the unfocused nowhere while the background of the rhetorical camera shot dissolves into the flashback scene and a harp ripples on the sound track, we get, not one, but two book excerpt teases masquerading as contemplative appreciations of himself, one for the Ruthie book and one for the Dante book, together with this clever segue suggesting that, to fully appreciate the Dante book, you probably should really buy and read the Ruthie book first:

She gave me this life. It wasn’t the life I thought I was going to have here. It wasn’t the life I wanted, nor the life I thought I deserved. But it is the life I needed. From How Dante Can Save Your Life:

This is what the contemplation of the comforts of home really means, food past, food present and an integral pitch for the entire Dreher catalog. No word if there is a two-for-one discount.

And it ends, finally, with William F. Buckley himself  tacitly smiling down from Heaven in approval as the credits roll over a D- paragraph from freshman Creative Writing 101

I came into the kitchen, set my bags down, and the kids squealed and ran to embrace Daddy. Roscoe rolled over and showed me his belly. I gave everybody their gifts, then ate my chicken pot pie. Nothing makes me happier than being at home with my family. Tomorrow I’ll be with my other family, in church, at the Divine Liturgy. William F. Buckley was once asked what was his favorite journey. He said one word: “Home.” I know what he meant.

There is simply nothing in this entire post that doesn't ring of a bad brainstorming session from Mad Men, dedicated to nothing beyond Dreher's porcine theology and book selling. The medium is the message and both are Rod Dreher.

Won't you make Rod's life complete and buy everything he writes so he can get even closer to God through his sacraments of thesophagany?

I'd hate to think poor Mollie Hemingway sat there and, from the look on her face, thought of England all night as Rod's date for nothing.

8 comments:

  1. One of my many loyal readers named Anonymous Commenter Keithette emails to ask

    "Keith, what is Rod Dreher's Thesophagany?"

    The answer's simple, Keithette, and comes from an early draft cut by his editor. He expressed it there simply as

    "The more of the universe I eat, the closer I come to God."

    Which leads me to believe that, if he could only gain enough mass to implode into becoming a black hole, he could then graduate to consuming whole star systems and finally make some real progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RD: "I thought about all the good meals I’d had, including three Boston dinners in a row featuring raw oysters"

    He keeps playing the odds. I think he should slow it down, otherwise the poor man is going to roll snake eyes someday and have very, very unpleasant encounter with Vibrio vulnificus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder how long he's going to be Orthodox. I've seen seeds of doubt. These are bound to grow. And his kids aren't going to keep pleasing Mommy & Daddy every Sunday for three hours, plus all that stuff they have to do on major holy days.

    Or maybe Julie will be the one to bolt, with buckshot in her eyes, or something.

    In any case, I get the distinct feeling that this Orthodox thing is sheer performance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After the Orthodox what's next? Mormonism?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point his Orthodox church cements an extremely tax- and financial reporting-advantageous business relationship with a very old family friend, so unless the enterprise itself flips to LDS, I'm inclined to think not.

      Delete
  6. DreRod would make a great Mormon. Holding the priesthood and the potential to become a God will give something he has always craved and has never had: credibility

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Rod has ably demonstrated that if you reduce your domain sufficiently and police the approaches to it vigilantly enough anyone can become a god and rule over a pot pie. I'm more inclined myself to wonder, as Roy Edroso jibed, when he will finally bolt and go full retard Mosquito Coast.

      Delete