Thursday, March 1, 2007

Retreating

Starting at 9:00PM tonight, I'll be doing my annual Lenten retreat. I'll be back on Sunday evening.

I've got a piece of paper with the names of the regular commenters here, so consider yourselves being prayed for by this sinful man. I hope you'll pray for me also so we can all "give the ol' Devil a black eye" as I heard it put once on a gospel station.

Couple more things: Mark Shea posted what I consider to be a very sincere public apology on his blog today.

And the obligatory humorous link: Top 11 Things Causing Al Gore to Spend $30K a Year on Electricity.

8 comments:

  1. Good luck? Have fun? God bless? I never know what the appropriate thing to say to someone who's going on a religious retreat.

    Anyway, with respect to Mark: he's sorry for mockingly, flippantly and snottily...telling the truth. 'k.

    I don't doubt Mark's sincerity, but I do think he's a fallen short of what he should be apologizing for and he comes off as being a bit full of himself in his apology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too find his apology quite inadequate, though as I've said before I think at least he's sort of trying to be sorry about his sorriness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. shea's apology, if sincere, seems to promise a long and painful process for him. we shouldn't quibble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll believe the long and painful process thing when I see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a good retreat Pauli. I will be praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy the retreat, Pauli. Say a prayer for some of lurkers as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. bubba, of course you're right on one level. e.g. i dont think my being called the "witch queen of angmar" is an instance of Shea "speaking the truth" in love or otherwise. (opinions may differ, people will just have to take my word for it that i am not a witch queen) but Shea's apology did show humility and a recognition of excesses that, while not complete, and a bit self-aggrandizing in classic shea fashion, does err in the right direction. that general movement should be encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bubba, best you put those comic books done a sec and pick up the Good Book. That be the Lord in the desert for 40 days, and those clouds are shaped like the old Devil 'imself acoming to tempt him, the "prince of the power of the air" (Eph. 2:2) not the "dark knight".

    ReplyDelete