Thursday, August 30, 2007

Bull

I smiled when I read this post.

I myself have never seen the kind of gross damage described here. A different scenario I have witnessed, however, which I could describe in similar language. Two people wander into a gift shop; one makes a remark about the merchandise, something like "It ain't all that, dude." The other one laughs stupidly. A store clerk gets upset and, over-reacting, she dials 9-1-1. When the cops show up, the "dudes" are gone. Feeling a little embarrassed, she tells the cops she thought they were going to break something. She remembers that one was wearing a Red Bull T-shirt.

Just for the record, I cannot stand that Red Bull stuff. It tastes like it was concocted in a steel bathtub by bored sugar junkies who figured out how to liquefy SweeTarts. It has been explained to me that the sole purpose of this overpriced Kool-aid is to mix with Vodka, but I'll take the O.J., s'il vous plaƮt. Much cheaper.

10 comments:

  1. unrelated: TNR has an article about en masse conversions of evangelicals to orthodoxy. It's totally orthodoxy as catholicism lite -- or rather bells and smells heavy and pope/doctrine lite.

    http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?i=20070827&s=zengerle082707

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and plus the pastors can run their own show. where have i heard this before?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice way, Kathleen, to be a total bull-in-a-China-shop, coming over here and making unrelated posts.

    I once listened to a tape of Thomas Howard and Peter Kreeft discussing their conversions to Catholicism. Someone asked one of them if they had considered converting to E. Orthodoxy. The reply was something like "It is tempting because when you tell someone you're Orthodox they don't really know what you're talking about. There is no stigma attached to it like there is with being Catholic." Fair point.

    Another BTW: I'm grateful for Diane for pointing me in the direction of James Likoudis -- he's a brilliant writer and a convert from Orthodoxy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i thought this was contrapauli, not contrakathleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mythbusters recently examined the phrase, "a bull in a china shop." To everyone's shock and amazement, the myth was busted, because the china wasn't: bulls are surprisingly agile beasts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mountain Dew has a better rush and tastes better. I could not have done the graveyard shift at DHL without it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's right, i am a "surprisingly agile beast"

    i was just kidding y'all

    ReplyDelete
  8. Speaking of beasts, Leona Helmsley's Maltese dog, Trouble, to whom she left $12 million, is into really good cooking by expensive chefs and REFUSES common dog food. Trouble also reportedly has always regularly bitten the hands of those attempting to feed her. Could it be that trouble is a crunchy conservative pooch? One does wonder....

    ReplyDelete
  9. dreher does remind one of a Maltese at times

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think he reminds me of the macot from Taco Bell. Every time I expect him to say "Yo quiero Taco Bell."

    ReplyDelete