Sunday, February 18, 2007

From the banks of chaos in my mind...

Yeah, well COOL if they're finally able to get past the "din of their Rice Krispies" and rock again. The big man can't quite hit those high notes, as evidenced at the Grammy's, but nonetheless it was a great performance. They flew in the original vocal track and made it work really well. It's hard to imagine the trio not doing something well.

I remember watching that video Police around the World circa 1988 with one of my bandmates. It had hilarious sequences; one was Andy Summers wrestling a Sumo guy in Japan in slow motion while "Walking on the Moon plays in the background. I guess Stewart Copeland is spinning a lot of the same type of material into a new DVD?



Andy Nowicki(e), you know about this WAY more than I do, I'm so out of it. So I'm designating you as the Police news update correspondent. Don't be timid -- feel free to high-jack every thread, this is not high-school. Cubeland Mystic is a huge fan, too, BTW.

So I guess the reunion is now a substantiated fact? I read most of this interview with Copeland (foul-mouth warning) and checked out some rah-rah blogs. Ever since the Pistols did their "Filthy Lucre" tour I can't help thinking about the $$$ aspect. Missing high-notes notwithstanding, the paycheck from a reunion tour would buy plenty of high-fiber Rice Krispies, Sumo wrestlers encounters, etc. for everyone, plus there'd be enough left over for Sharpy markers so Copeland can write swear words on his drum-heads.

9 comments:

  1. the police are great, but round these parts we refer to gordon sumner as Stingk. Copeland and Summers were the musicians in the police, sumner was the face. all of his solo stuff his self-indulgent cheap crap. and have any of his solo albums NOT been used in a car commercial?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pauli, I don't have any inside info that you don't have. I'm no music industry insider. I'm just a schlb who likes power pop and new wave and prefers the Latin mass to the Novus Ordo. But thanks for your thoughts. I'd like to see the Police live, but don't think I'll be able to afford it. Sting seems like a pomopus, pretentious pain in the arse but with the Police he was great. His solo career mostly sucked, in my not humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. K, I will agree that Sting used the Police to get wherever he ended up. In his mind, he was the management, Copeland and Summers were the labor.

    But Sting is an incredible songwriter in his own right. Stuff like "Every little thing" didn't just descend from on high. I honestly think that all three of them would have had great musical careers even if they had never met. But I'm glad they did.

    Andy, I don't know if you share this opinion, but I *HATE* Sting's Blue Turle remake of "Don't Stand So Close To Me".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sting is most def a pompous bloke; I knew a guy who was in a band opening for the Police. Sting referred to him rudely (and hilariously IMO) as a "colonist", something like "Well, you're just a colonist...." He thought it was funny since he was half native American. It's kind of like getting called a honky as a white guy -- not a whole lot of sting in the insult, if you'll excuse the pun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was listening to Sting when I went for a Jog yesterday evening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you friend was half native american? are you telling us that you know Redbone? name dropper.

    by the way if you google "witch queen from new orleans" the first hit is the contra blog comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pauli, I think the "Don't Stand So Close To Me '86" was a total Police effort. It wasn't on "Dream of the Blue Turtles"-- it was featured on a Police greatest hits album released in 1986. And yeah, it sucked.

    The Sex Pistols-- now there's a band I would eagerly go to see were they to reunite yet again. I shell out the big bucks to see Johnny Rotten do his onstage schtick. It never gets old, even if he has...

    ReplyDelete
  8. sting as incredible songwriter;

    did he write Police stuff? didn't the whole group write it? i can't believe he wrote that stuff alone, or was even the head honcho songwriter of the 3, since his solo stuff is so dissimilar.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rumor is they're coming to Columbus, OH and Pittsburgh, PA but it's not on the tour schedule yet.

    ReplyDelete