Sunday, March 11, 2007

Ignoring Protests

There is a long tradition of ignoring protests in the Catholic church, from Christ ignoring Judas's protest about the perfume to JPII's going ahead with his historic apology of the sins of church members despite the hand-wringing of many in the Vatican. So it shouldn't surprise anyone if B16 is ignoring a few Cardinals regarding the liturgy, a topic that the current Pope has written volumes on.

My favorite lines from this article:

"This [papal motu proprio] would enable Benedict to ignore opposition from several cardinals." (Or he might be "enabled" simply by the fact that he is the Supreme Pontiff, hello?)

"The Pope's proposal will be cheered by Lefebvre's traditionalist followers." (Or not, if they are in a bad mood or the vestments don't have enough embroidery on the cuffs.)

I have been following this topic with much interest, but not blogging about it. I'm one of those folks who would like to see more of the Latin Mass although I'm not "attached" to it. Most traditionalists don't like my precise view -- the details of which I won't bore you with at this moment -- because I'm admittedly and hopelessly post-modern in my entire approach as a convert and a youngster. I just think the Tridentine liturgy rocks ass, simply put. Enough English already! And "sign of peace"? sign of schmeace.... dust off the missals, men, we're going to do some spiritual warfare.

No comments:

Post a Comment