Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Perils of Photography in a Catholic Church

If you take pictures in a Catholic church, you have to watch out for what I call the "statue effect". Demonstrated here, statues in certain poses can seem to interact with live human beings. In this unfortunate picture from a local rag mag, an unsuspecting Bishop Lennon appears to be having his nose honked by a statue Resurrected Christ in the background in a parish of the Cleveland Diocese which he recently visited.

This happened awhile back, but I decided to save it until after Easter. It's a little too funny for Lent. Or maybe you don't think this is very funny at all, in which case I shall have to try harder to make you laugh in the future.

7 comments:

  1. Great photo. It just goes to knows us so intimately there is nothing he won't take care of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the photographer's left arm in the foreground of the pic, I'd say this photo was no accident. But very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's not the photographer's arm. That's either a Priest's or Deacon's arm holding up a card for the Rite of Baptism, or the blessing at the end of a Mass maybe.

    It's always possible that the photographer intended something like this, but I'm convinced it was a "happy accident".

    ReplyDelete
  4. where's our pure prairie league this AM? i'm sad

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got that VF song "I hear the rain" stuck in my head, but more on that later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is not a left arm in the foreground no matter who's arm it is. (I think the Thumb is on the wrong side)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is very very funny indeed. Who said God has no sense of humor?

    ReplyDelete