Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Personality Crisis

Say what you will about Andy Nowicki (and I often do) he's right on when he says here that "Glam rock helped set the stage for punk rock, and thus merits appreciation. A world where punk never happened is a grim notion indeed." I hope you enjoy this next performance as much as I do.

(Warning: You might want headphones if you're going to listen to this at work.)



David Johanson (the singer) reformed the band last year, I guess. I don't know how good they are without Johnny Thunders? Alas, the good die young... 38 is young, right? Maybe I poke around some more on u-tube for some recent material.

But some of my favorite lyrics ever.

Personality Crisis

Well, we can't take it this week
And her friends don't want another speech
Hoping for a better day to hear what she's got to say

All about that Personality Crisis you got it while it was hot
But now frustration and heartache is what you got
(That's why they talk about personality...)

But now your tryin' to be someone,
Now you got to do something
Wanna be someone who cow wow wows
But you think about the times you did they took every ounce
When it sure got to be a shame when you start to scream and shout
You got to contradict all those times you were butterflyin' about
(You were butterflyin'...)

All about that Personality Crisis you got it while it was hot
But now frustration and heartache is what you got

And you're a prima ballerina on a spring afternoon
Change on into the wolfman howlin' at the moon
(Hooowwwllll.......)

All about that Personality Crisis you got it while it was hot
But now frustration and heartache is what you got.

Now with all the crossin' fingers that mother nature says
Your mirror's getting jammed up with all your friends
That personality everything starts to bend
Personality when your mind starts to bend
Personality impression of a friend,
Of a friend, of a friend, of a friend, of a friend...
Personality wonderin how celebrities ever mend
(Look and find out on television!)

Personality Crisis you got it while it was hot
Frustration and heartache is all you got don't you worry

Personality Crisis, please don't cry
It's just a personality crisis please don't stop

Because you walk a personality,
Talk a personality.

18 comments:

  1. did you see the movie about the NY DOlls bass player? forget name of movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "New York Doll"

    He was a devout Mormon in the last two decades of his life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry, i mean "anonymous", not andy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo, what's yo problem? What did I spoil? That he was a Mormon? I think that's more of a teaser than a spoiler.

    I'm not, and have never been, "anonymous." When I couldn't sign in as my blogger identity, I always signed my name at the end of my posts. Same deal as with Diane. If this "anonymous" thing is a crack at my expense, I don't think it makes much sense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, so you weren't the anonymous blogger in this post, Andy?

    He said he was "Rod" at the end, ha-ha.

    Whoever it was, he was logging in from Hinesville, GA. I know that via sitemeter. Someone from Hinesville logged in this morning.

    So... where are you right now? You don't have to answer that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, Pauli, that wasn't me. I'll swear it on a stack of Bibles. It was either someone else from Hinesville (which would surprise me as much as it would you), or (more likely explanation) your sitemaster is mistaken.

    Say what you like about me, but I wouldn't carry on a cheesy masquarade like that, pretending to be "Rod." What would be the point? I think that that "Rod" was someone else-- perhaps even someone actually named "Rod."

    Ever since my persecution at the hands of his highness Mark Shea (where I posted under an assumed name and was called a "coward" for it-- as recorded in the article I wrote which you kindly linked to a while ago), I have vowed always to post under my actual name-- not just my first, but my last as well. Believe what you want, but as Spandau Ballet beautifully affirmed over two decades ago, I know this much is true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know another Spandau Ballet song. It's called "How Many Lies".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah? Well, I know one by Scritti Politti-- or maybe it was Haircut 100, or perhaps Naked Eyes-- called "You Think I Got On This Site and Pretended to Be Somebody I Wasn't (But You're Wrong)"

    Actually, I don't know any such song. But if I did, it would be applicable here. I'm not "Rod."

    ReplyDelete
  10. By the way, it'd be highly decent of the real "Rod" who posted as "anonymous" on the comment thread in question, if he could speak up here and identify himself, and thus clear my good name, having been wrongly accused of underhandedness and deception, both of which qualities I strongly detest.

    Read the posts of "Rod" again, Pauli and Kathleen, and anyone else who cares to, then read some of my posts where I've identified myself by name, then ask yourself: does this "Rod" even SOUND like me? I have utterly no interest in the subject of affordable housing and the housing "bubble" and whatnot. Economic matters tend to bore me to tears. The writing style of this writer is nothing like mine. Check it out, make your own comparison, and see for yourself.

    Meantime, speak up, you who identified yourself as "Rod," and-- let everyone here know that YOU wrote those posts, and not me-- and in so doing you'll earn at least my admiration, if no one else's...

    If you (that is "Rod") read this, and don't speak up, you are helping to contribute to the slander of a fellow human being.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe you, Andy! Honest I do! :)

    I still suspect that the real Rod thinks I'm Maria Harrington, even though I couldn't write like that if I wanted to.

    I have always been really lousy at emulating someone else's "voice."

    ReplyDelete
  12. Andy: I just looked at the stats again and I did find ONE other person it could have been. Someone logs in from Midland, Michigan and works for the Dow Company up there most likely.

    I don't know who it is, but based on how many times he logged in and the times of his logins, it is MORE LIKELY that it was he who had the argument with Kathleen and signed his name "Rod" to his last comment.

    I'm sorry that I prematurely accused you, Andy. You had made some anonymous comments before that, but I'll grant you that you did sign your name in the comment box to those, as I recall.

    No more anon -- 'sall I got to say.

    ReplyDelete
  13. By the way, the movie's called "New York Doll" and the guy was a Mormon. Sorry to give it all away.

    ReplyDelete
  14. you forgot one of your original spoilers, if you wish to repeat all of them so no one misses it

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think most fans of the New York Dolls pretty well know the thing I delicately hinted at without directly saying. It's not like it just happened yesterday, for cryin' out loud.

    ReplyDelete