Monday, March 10, 2008

A Sincere Request for Clarification

This shifty Rezko character who's on trial currently in Chicago is buddies with Barack Obama and helped broker his house deal. Here is an article about the irregularities involved. My question is this: "What is the big deal?"

The sellers in this case seem to me to be making a weird request, and the Obamas and this guy got creative in order to buy the stupid house. House sellers are not all weird, but the ones I've had to deal with have been. I can't say I've put a gun up to anyone's head and said "Sign the f___ing paper or you're dead," but I can't say it's never crossed my mind. I suppose that would definitely be illegal, right? Legal types, weigh in.

2 comments:

  1. it's the reasonable inference of a quid pro quo. politician obama now owes resko favors, since the adjacent property was required to be purchased the same time as a house. in effect the favor is really just a bribe. the fact that it appears not to be a bribe on its face is not a huge legal hurdle.

    is this what you are asking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK - I get it now. So it all hinges on the fact that Obama is elected to office. Duh, I don't know why I didn't see that. So what Obama should have done is gotten a loan, bought the adjacent lot and put it up for sale if he wanted the house.

    I guess this kind of thing probably happens all the time between "old friends" when one gets elected; you just hope the other doesn't end up in big trouble like this skeleton collector.

    ReplyDelete