Tuesday, April 1, 2008

My oldest son's birthday is tomorrow

He'll be six, so naturally we will be entering the wonderful world of guinea pigs. And naturally I am researching these amazing creatures, starting at youtube, of course.



An interesting sound. The problem is that I'm not really what anyone would call a fan of animals, not living ones at least. So could someone tell me which end of the guinea pig this sound is issuing from?

I think it's best to start with a guinea pig rather than going for a full-blown pig right off the bat.

7 comments:

  1. A month or so ago, I composed a blog post on this very topic. I haven't gotten around to posting yet, but please allow me to record it here in full:

    On getting a guinea pig as a pet

    Don't.


    What you want is a dwarf hamster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, please try not to upstage me here. I was making a farty joke. Anyway, I don't your little bonsai mouse can chirrup quite as beautifully as a classically trained guinea shoat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have allergies. no pets in my house. because, *i have allergies*. it's great to have allergies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pauli:

    Yes, the chirrupping is one of the most charming things about guinea pigs.

    The broken Pez dispenser God gave them as a backside is one of the least charming.

    And if you get a biter... well, then you get bit.

    I suppose the big thing about guinea pigs is that, in terms of level of effort, they're a lot closer to cats than to gerbils.

    But Happy Birthday to your son! Enjoy your new pet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also wish your son a Happy Birthday, Pauli. I would have a pet in my apartment; if not for the additional $150 I would have to pay in rent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. guinea pigs are not reccomended for children as they are fragile usually a child can drop it and break its bones so if anything please dont get your son a guinea pig it will be good for your son(if he drops the guinea pig he make be upset and such) and it also may let another guinea pig live (maybe 2)

    ReplyDelete