Monday, August 25, 2008

Thoughts on Biden and the Rosary

Hat tip to Public Square for this one commenting on the Catholic Senator's promise to commit an act of torture when he stated "the next Republican that tells me I'm not religious I'm going to shove my rosary beads down their throat."

Threatening to shove one's rosary beads down others' throats is not the sort of thing one says when one has the benefit of the many graces that are promised to those who daily pray the rosary. So it makes me wonder. On the off chance that Senator Biden is not keeping up with his daily praying of the rosary, I would encourage him to have an aide get it onto his daily schedule, and never miss it. It will only strengthen him for the many trials that face him each day.

Still, I'll admit that most days I'm carrying three rosaries on my person, and that doesn't in itself make me religious. I'm pretty sure that attacking someone with a rosary wouldn't make me religious either. Still, I'm not too worried, because I honestly don't believe that the Senator carries a rosary with him every day. Not that that in itself makes him irreligious. But it does undercut his threat.

Well said, Mr. Paul the Regular Guy. I don't think Pope Leo XIII had Senator Biden's methods in mind when he described the Rosary "like a most powerful warlike weapon". I myself usually try to carry a "backup piece", one of those ring decade jobbies in addition to a nice 5-decade .32 caliber bead model blessed by Pope Benedict.

5 comments:

  1. Wouldn't his vaunted train rides between Wilmington and D.C. provide the ideal opportunity?

    ReplyDelete
  2. opportunity for saying the rosary or shoving said rosary beads?

    there are a lot of old people walking around who haven't grown up yet, and biden always struck me as a prime example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, I think John meant the train is a good time to say the Rosary. Someone else is driving and many people can't get a lot of quality work done due to motion sickness. I used to do it on the trolley in Pittsburgh.

    I agree with Kathleen: Biden is a child, coddled by the media. Can you imagine if Mitt Romney began his big speech about religious freedom by threatening to shove the Book of Mormon down the throat of someone who questioned his authenticity? It's amazing what Dems get away with, truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, listen to Lowry's take-down:

    "Biden's utility is probably limited. Most voters will look at him and not see the scrappy kid from Scranton, Pa., but a senator whose love affair with hearing himself talk is ardent even by the self-exalting standards of the breed."

    ReplyDelete
  5. vlaganje denarja [url=http://www.borznitecaji.info]borzni tecaji[/url]

    ReplyDelete