Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Justified in nitpicking

Sometimes I almost feel horrible when my 6-year old is excitedly telling me a story and I have to correct his English usage. And for him this usually means reminding him to stop peppering his speech with the word "like" unnecessarily.

But now that the Palin family has made the terrible mistake of allowing Bristol Palin to give an interview, I feel entirely justified at nipping this habit in the bud. "Like, like, like...." Cheese, Louise. Just for the record, I feel it is entirely realistic to expect kids to abstain from this habit.

BTW, we went to Bristol, Maine last summer and it was gorgeous.

5 comments:

  1. yes but they learned it from us. my 4 year old begins sentences with "like" and the only reason she does it is because i do it. it makes me cringe

    ReplyDelete
  2. So say this: "Do as I say not as I, like, do, or whatever."

    ReplyDelete
  3. If Princess Caroline Kennedy can, um, sound lousy in an interview, why not, like, Bristol?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all goes to a lack of rigor. The way I see it, Caroline has probably had an easy life with no one challenging or criticizing her too much. There's still time for kids to get some rigor under their belts, whether they are 18-year-old unmarried moms or not. Let's all try to challenge our kids and ourselves to eschew intellectual sloppiness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, like - when I was still teaching the teenagers at church it would, like, take me, you know, about 3 days, like, to break myself, you know, of the habit of like, saying like....

    Errrrrk!

    ReplyDelete