Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I make me laugh, part 3

Here's an old comment o' mine to go along with my continuing series on the dangers of "Living Out Loud":

I just got back from a trip to Pennsylvania and read that Hitting the Wall post. My first thought? A fat lot of good the HIPAA privacy laws do if your spouse blogs about your health conditions.

At some point this living out loud on blogs has got to stop. People who do it are going to regret it someday. My dad and I were just talking about how no one even knew FDR had polio. Now we've swung to the other extreme and we know every detail about some obscure blogger's life, if they are on sleeping pills, if they have diabetes, etc. merely because the blogger thinks everyone needs to know it.

I advise everyone to use email for personal things. If you want me to pray for you, I will, but send me a private email.

Don't blog your personal life! If you do, don't wonder why everyone is laughing at you. If you feel the need to tell the world how many hours you worked last week or the consistency of your last bowel movement, methinks you have a worse problem than constipation or diarrhea.

How many times can I post "I make me laugh" entries? How high can I count? My 6-year-old can count to one hundred, so he informed me yesterday and subsequently demonstrated. So if I get stuck I'll ask him.

2 comments:

  1. I could not get past the second line of that Dreher post. My immediate reaction: "Oh brother!"

    And talk about a pity-party!

    My dad, the Italian Ralph Kramden, would probably remind me that, when he was just 19 years old, he nearly got blown out of the sky by the Japanese. "Stress? You want stress? I'll give you stress...."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've committed my share of of sins against fortitude, but fortunately I did not "blog" them. A good saying to remember is "wake up and smell yourself."

    Also--the line permanently ingrained in my mind from my late maternal grandfather: "You are crying with a loaf of bread under your arm."

    ReplyDelete