Saturday, July 31, 2010

For your "pure pleasure"

I have to confess that I have just discovered this stuff, and I cannot stop laughing. These dudes are called Legion of Rock Stars and they have taken the annoying habit of "headphone soloists" (remember Eddie Murphy's "Roxanne" performance in 48 Hours?") and turned it loose on the hits we know and love. They do this via a process they call "pure pleasure". Their website briefly describes the process:

LEGION OF ROCK STARS has freed themselves from the shackles of practicing, instead perfecting a performance technique known as the Pure Pleasure Process.

Pure Pleasure.

While listening to songs on headphones equipped with 30dB sound blockers to blot out the outside world, the band plays and sing their hearts out, all while unable to hear themselves.

Brilliant. Here's the Legion's cover of the Police in their most over-the-top video. Sure leaves Sting looking like a complete ass. Well, he was lip-syncing anyway.


Here's Journey getting owned and Neil Diamond deservedly, you'll hopefully agree. Plus I think Guns & Roses's tour bus just got shorter,.

Here's the first one I happened upon. Something in the Air by Thunderclap Newman is a song I've always loved, but I died laughing anyway. The piano part especially.

I don't know... YMMV, let me know what you think. I live for this kind of humor. Deep, deep parody and self-deprecation. Thank you, Mr. Crazed Poodle, for inventing the internets.

2 comments: