Sunday, August 15, 2010

Bill Donohue on Anne Rice

I have a lot of opinions on events in the news, big or small. I don't always blog on them for one reason or another. Either I'm too busy, too lazy or just too something else or whatever. But on matters of slinging mud at the Church I barely ever need to go farther than the Catholic League and Bill Donohue who nearly always shares and expresses my exact opinion in precise and succinct language. His summary of Anne Rice's latest temper tantrum is no exception; here are some excerpts:

Rice said this week that when the American bishops opposed homosexual marriage, that was the "last straw." She offered, "I didn't anticipate in the beginning that U.S. Catholic Bishops were going to come out against same-sex marriage." Did she think they would be silent on one of the most contentious moral issues of our day? Or that they were silently cheering for gay marriage all along? Either way, her virginal views are startling.

Yeah; I wonder if she knows how to say the Our Father yet.

Last night, Rice told Joy Behar "I myself am anti-abortion." It didn't take long before the pro-abortion and anti-Catholic Behar snapped, "You would deny other women the choice to have an abortion?" To which Rice said, "I would not deny them the choice." Yet in the same breath she added, "I do think it's the taking of a human life."

Wow, not above her pay grade, I guess, to say that unborn humans are actually human. Didn't even need Mr. Spock's tricorder. But "go ahead and kill 'em anyway" seems to be her position, at least when around Joyless Behar.

Rice came back to the Catholic Church in the 1990s, but only the day before yesterday did she learn that the bishops are not fond of guys marrying. She said in 2008 that Catholicism is not anti-gay, but in 2010 it was so anti-gay she had to quit. She is pro-life, knows abortion kills, but sides with the agenda of Planned Parenthood. She wants Christ without the Christianity. This is more than an odyssey—it's a tragedy.

Well, her odyssey is not over yet, odd and dizzying as it may be. My advice is that when and if she does come back to the Church that she does it quietly. I suppose I'd advise any other authors known for noisy conversions to do the same. You're welcome in the church, but please shut the hell up. We'll listen to people who know what they are talking about. Those of us who want to read cheesy novels will make sure you can afford your big mansions and whatnot.

No comments:

Post a Comment