Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ubiquarian presents "A Decade"

Owen White gives us ten points to ponder, or perhaps to chew on, over at his blog which has become regular reading for me. My guess is that Owen and I disagree completely on a long list of particulars which are all ultimately inconsequential, but that we are true brothers of the drinking variety.

My favorite points are numbers 3 and 6. Three because I can only think of certain topics through a Pieperian lens. Six because it's simply too accurate, like the archer who splits the arrow, and simultaneous laugh-out-loud funny, like maybe the arrow is wearing Groucho glasses, or lets out a fake fart noise... or something. Excerpt:

My favorite religious blog posts are the ones where some guy waxes on and on (drowning in the affect of a strained world weariness, even though he seems like the sort who would struggle to get through two beers and probably still feels all ex-Evangelical guilty when he swears) about the dangers of internet religious blogging - noting the irony that he himself is doing it, while admonishing presumably less wise readers as to what sort of things should be avoided. It reminds me of that time when I was a kid and Mac Davis sang Lord It's Hard to Be Humble on the Muppets.

But please read the whole thing. It's a keeper.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, Owen's like that -- I disagree with him about tons, but on some level I think we're soulmates.

    My kids would love him, too. Anyone who likes Phil Ochs is OK in their book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, that was moi.

    Diane, posting anonymously because blogger hates me

    ReplyDelete
  3. BTW, see Owen's latest. It's a keeper. :)

    ReplyDelete