Monday, July 11, 2011

Public Service Announcement (without guitars)

We had a fire in our house, in our kids' room. It happened a few weekends ago. No one got hurt, the damage was mostly from smoke, and I really don't want to talk about it in any more detail. But here's what you need to know--the culprit:

...and here's the scoop on the exact model. Basically each time these SMC oscillating fans oscillate they get a step closer to shorting out the cord which comes up through the stand. So if you have one of these, you may want to replace it with something newer.


  1. Wow -- another product-caused fire.

    A couple of years ago, a house down our street burned to the ground (between Christmas and New Years -- oof). Fire station is no more than 45 seconds away -- but no chance to save it. I talked to the firemen a few weeks later (I brought them leftover fish from a Lenten Fish Fry!), and asked about that fire. They said it was caused by a Ford F150 sitting in the garage. When I showed some surprise at that, they mentioned that cause is not all that unusual.

    Now with yours, I'm starting to think that product-caused fires are more common than we think. Hmmm. Be careful out there . . .

  2. Dang. Just went up to check the info on our fan; I'm glad it is different. Which might explain why the motor fried instead of the fan itself going up in flames.

  3. My friends apartment burned because of same thing (not same exact fan tho). someone was staying there and left the fan on for a long time. glad no one got hurt.

  4. Thanks for the tip Pauli! I am sorry about the fire!

  5. Wow--so sorry re the fire; so glad no one got hurt. Remind me never to buy that fan.

    Is anyone thinking Class Action Suit?