Thursday, May 16, 2013

What I read first today

...and what I will likely be thinking about for the rest of the day is Oengus Moonbones's latest work in progress, The Relics. For some reason, the man from the "Land In-between" just draws me into his stories. There's an honesty in his fiction that you don't always see in the non-fiction of others. Here's how The Relics begins:

The story I want to tell you begins with a funeral, my funeral actually.

It's funny how the end of your life can circle back around to near where you began. That was the case with me when they held a funeral for me at the Crystal Cathedral, over in Garden Grove. It is a nice town, much like the rest of the towns you find in southern California. When I was very young, my grandmother Edith would take me to Sunday school at a small church not far down the road from where the Cathedral is located. Back then I would never have dreamt that just down the street they would finally bury me. But I guess you don't think about those kind of things when you're little.

Anyhow, my funeral was a sight to behold. I mean it was a really big funeral, bigger than anything I could imagine happening. All sorts of people came. There were some that I knew in life, but most of the people who came I had no idea who they were or where they came from. Isn't it strange that when you're still around, not many people will even talk to you. Once you're gone, though, you discover you've got all these friends you never knew you had.

The story isn't finished, but I hope he writes more. I remember a few years back reading his quirky and very humorous Belinda at Starbucks, which I can't seem to find on Lunar Skeletons anymore. What's up with that, Oengus?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the compliment, Pauli. What you read is a very experimental start of the first chapter. I do have a general plan and objective in my head for the entire story, although I don't know for sure if I have the skill to pull it off once I get more time to work on it. The parts you saw are there temporarily because I am waiting for feedback from a person I know.

    As for my Starbucks story, I still have it on my hard drive. Perhaps someday, I'll get back to it to see if there is anything there I can work with. The main problem there is developing the plot more fully and figuring out a proper ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: an ending for Belinda @ Starbucks. You can always opt for the ending that C. S. Lewis used in That Hideous Strength, i.e., animals stampede and earth swallows up bad guys.

    Or... I remember an old Zorro B&W where at the end the Zorro guy says something like "Now we will all go get fat and have children." That was a good Catholic end to the movie.

    ReplyDelete