Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Winner of "The most helpful critical review"

Check it out. So far, according to Amazon, I have written the "Most helpful critical review" of The Little Way of Ruthie Leming: A Southern Girl, a Small Town, and the Secret of a Good Life. So raise a glass of whatever floats your Cajun Shrimp Boat. "I'd like to thank the academy, God, my agent..." etc. etc....

I'd also like to say thank you to you awesome readers for marking my review helpful. If you have time, please go over and mark other reviews not helpful, especially if they read like this one:

If you have a book club, PLEASE CHOOSE THIS BOOK. The minute I finished Little Way, I knew I wanted to recommend it to my book club. It is a story that is rich with the complex themes of life, and you don't need to have chosen any of the paths Mr. Dreher did in order to enjoy it. I live in a big city, I have no siblings or any kind of extended family, I'm not religious. I loved the book, and I was bursting at the seams to discuss it with other people. My book club read it and you will be amazed at the different ways it reaches people. There are so many discussions to be had--what does community mean? Can one have community in a big city? What is the nature of forgiveness? One aspect of the book which I have never see covered in any of the reviews is the way one deals with the news of cancer. The way Ruthie dealt with the news and how she related it to her children was, it seemed to me, quite different from what is considered the 'acceptable', current approach. That, in and of itself, is a long and thoughtful exchange of views. Really, this book will set a gold standard for group discussion.

Or maybe this one:

I might have finished this tale much more quickly, had I not had to physically close my Kindle in order to halt the uncontrollable sobbing which blurred the words and made it impossible to continue time and again. I did not know Ruthie Dreher, or her brother, until I read his account. I had only briefly met "his tireless Julie" and Lucas in a chance encounter at the Daniel Clinic, but was curiously drawn to her references of having moved back here to be with Rod's family. Later that week I found out from Mrs. Johnette Rettig that Mrs. Dorothy Dreher's back porch was the magical place my 7 year old spoke of so often, where "the Lady with the pet deer" allowed him to feed them from his hands. An indelible mark on my newly countrified son who had recently moved to this small town with his Brother, Father, and I. There are countless highlights in my electronic version, too numerable to list, but suffice it to say that this book moved me deeply. And Christian Daniel Tregle is right...those kind of things do happen here. All the time. I am undeservedly privileged to call this place home.

And especially this one:

What a great story that reminds us about family, faith and love. A great read for all many ages. Wow!

Wow, indeed. If you provide this feedback for so many of the 5-star reviews—not all, but many—you'll be doing a great service to mankind. And you probably have free time on your hands if you're reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment