Tuesday, February 3, 2015

The Writings of Sistah Raccoon

I have completed the recovery of The Writings of Sistah Raccoon so you may read them once again. No one was killed by those offended by the Topix post, thank God, but it does put me in mind of my Charlie Hebdo post because now it's possible that more people will become familiar with this new ingenious pillorying of Rod Dreher's TAC blog posts than had been before.


There was another bit of good stuff on the disappeared post. Countrylad stated this in defense of our continuing criticism:

Pauli clearly has a bone to pick with Rod and is relentless in pursuing it.

Both Sistah Raccoon and Pauli have a right to say whatever they want on here, as do you. You have the same privilege with regard to their posts as you do to the daily newspaper - If you don't like what they have to say, you don't have to read it.

I responded:

Yes, you are correct. Rod Dreher and I actually have a lot of things in common. We were both born in the same year so we grew up with a lot of the same TV shows. We both grew up in small towns, went to college, became more conservative after college and converted to the Catholic faith in the nineties.

Rod Dreher has many bones to pick and he has been relentless over the years in pursuing these. One is the Catholic Church, one is mainstream conservatives — or what he has called the "mongoloid right"  — and one is the way normal people in American life view everyday life, food and architecture.

The internet not only helps you find something you like, it also helps you find things you detest. Thus I have found Rod, a person who is almost a mirror image of myself — amazingly alike in some ways, drastically different in others. I used to read his blog every day, but over the years I have it less and less because other kindred spirits have found my blog and have done a lot of the research for me, emailing me passages which they know will arouse my ire as it has theirs. But now I probably only react on my blog to these around 1 out of every 5 times, if that.

I have always taken the approach that the best treatment of speech or writing which you believe represents bad ideas is good ideas communicated in speech and writing, correcting what you think is wrong with the other. The exchange allows people to read each and decide.

Sometimes this comes in the way of clownish parodies and ridicule. It is probably the case that I have resorted to these methods too often and, if so, it has no doubt weakened the strength of my own arguments. Insofar as they have affected Rod Dreher at all, the few people who read my amateur copy may be more critical of his ideas when they read them. I have no idea what Mr. Dreher thinks about me or if he thinks about me at all. But certainly no real harm comes to him from anything my friends and I write. It has been reported that hits from his articles and blog posts on the American Conservative are really what keeps the website afloat, so it should be noted that he has both fans and job security galore.

I am highly amused that this post was removed from Topix and I am somewhat curious about the details. It is possible that someone complained that Sistah Raccoon's writings are racist. That might have been the magic word used for the why of the banning. But I'm more interested in the who. Dante book publishing company? Wick Allison? Bueller?

3 comments:

  1. Skipping through that archive the only thing that could remotely be associated with race was the poster's almost incomprehensible dialect, which, frankly, just sounded ignorant and hardly like any black people I've ever heard.

    So I think you may be right, Pauli. Something apparently hit passionately anti-political correctness, free speech advocate Rod Dreher too close to home the way it did before on his Bonnie Blue blog, but this time he used a sanctimonious appeal to "racism" to shut it down. And you'd hardly expect Topix geeks to understand such ignorant sounding language as anything different (an ironically racist assumption in its own right). I'm beginning to understand Dreher's affection for the publicly pious Putin better every day.

    Too bad the "Sistah" can't get her own blog, but I imagine it would hardly be worth the trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess one thing I liked about the thread was that Countrylad enjoyed Sistah Raccoon's humor. The whole device of a Mama talking to her baby was appreciated. I found some of the posts laugh out loud funny, really, esp. the ERSTERS/HINEY one and the VAGINA one. That's my confession for the day, I suppose.

      Delete
  2. Might be relevant. The synopsis doesn't mention this, but I think this book is based on characters found in Dante's Inferno.

    ReplyDelete