Thursday, August 21, 2008

Obama's Co-opting Skill

I heartily agree with Dreher's conclusion here in discussing some minor gyrations in the Dems abortion plank.

I don't see it as nearly the victory for pro-lifers that Steve does, but I do share Steve's enthusiasm over the insight the process in all this gives us into how Obama might govern -- for better, or for worse. An optimistic read is Steve's: that it shows Obama as a pragmatist who will push for workable compromises over ideological purity. A negative read (surprise!) is mine: that it shows Obama's skill at co-opting the opposition with therapeutic measures while conceding no meaningful ground on the culturally leftist positions he already holds.

I also have to praise Rod for calling Obama's positions "leftist". A lot of people in Rod's camp (i.e., disgusted with Repubs and "mainstream conservatism") are going around saying "Obama's not really a leftist. That's just the tired, old mantra from the right." But he is, and the abortion issue is a prime example. On Hugh Hewitt's show last night Hugh stated that Obama represents the marriage of Chicago-style machine politics and the far left. I think he's right and this is the kind of "pragmatism" that neither the Democratic Party nor the country needs.

6 comments:

  1. Dude, you made me almost fall out of my chair. Pauli agreeing with Dreher? Praising him, even?

    Checking weather report from hell... yep 32 degrees F.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, my point is made. Unlike me, Dreher would really like to like Obama, but he can't get past all the negatives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On dotCommonweal, David Gibson expresses admiration at "how much Obama was able to accomplish under difficult circumstances."

    I simply can't believe how in the tank for Obama some pro-lifers are. It's one thing to be resigned to cooperating with evil, it's another to admire the one doing evil because he lets you cooperate with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Dreher would really like to like Obama"

    like that cheap trick song

    "i want me to want you
    i need me to need you
    i love me to love you
    i beg me to beg you"

    btw, i'm in ohio. it's flat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a pancake. Welcome to the Buckeye State, Kathleen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I simply can't believe how in the tank for Obama some pro-lifers are.

    This is staggering me as well. I cannot fathom it. Just shows the seductive power of demagoguery, I guess. Or something.

    ReplyDelete