Friday, April 23, 2010

WRT playing the "hater" card

If anyone cared about being factual at all, he or she wouldn't assume that I hate Rod Dreher. There's evidence enough to convince me: positive comments on his blog posts with which I agree and private emails back and forth. If my readers are decent types, they will take this at face value, and I won't have to sift through old internet conversations because unlike some people, I don't have time to do that, providing a play-by-play of who said what.

Thinking someone has some mistaken, stupid ideas or that they are acting badly and then subsequently being vocal about it is not equivalent to hating that person. If this were so, it could be said that I hated all my kids and my mother, for starters. Likewise my mother could be said to hate me; she's the most vocal person about my conversion to Catholicism. But to my point: people who possess any kind of vocabulary should really reconsider before they descend to this juvenile accusation of hatred. Even referring to an argument as a fight amounts to "inflationary language".

So let's all cool off with Victor Borge, shall we?


"Three-faced triple-crosser!", lol

11 comments:

  1. I used to have dozens of Dreher hate dolls scattered around my house, all stuck with pins, etc .... now I only have about 2. so I'm totally not a hater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen, thanks for making those two dolls for me. I only have one left, the one made with old gym socks. I burnt the other one last year on my birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. do you think we can get more of his hair samples?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sure his former colleagues at the DMN have dolls you can use to stick with pins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jonathan, in case you didn't pick up on it, we are being facetious here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTW, the word "facetious" contains all the vowels in order. Just in case anyone forgets them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jonathan, I'll bet the DMN still has hair samples. you live closest. just sayin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pauli, I think Jonathan did pick up on it, LOL.

    Yep, the only way one can counter such insanity is with humor. (She said as she stabbed her Dreher Doll with her handy X-acto knife. Ahhhhh, that felt good.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. BTW, donch'all hate the Hater canard? Everyone and his first cousin is exploiting the term "hater" nowadays -- to discredit Tea Partiers, justify homosex, you name it. As they say down here in the Southland, that gets old reeeeeal fast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oops, just realized that was the whole point of your post, Pauli -- the absurdity of the whole Hater Thing. D'oh!! I feel really stupid.

    Can you tell that I am looking for an excuse not to write about men's compression underwear? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  11. BTW, totally off-topic: Someone posted this at Facebook:

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/193872/south_park_takes_a_stab_at_facebookwatch_the_video.html

    I never watch South Park, mostly because we don't have either cable or the dish, but also because I'm not sure I want to see small kids dropping the F-bomb. But this was FUNNEEEE. I am sooo not crazy about Facebook, and I seldom log on. These little videos kind of sum up why I don't like FB. Twitter Rules -- easier, faster, and no one there wants you to adopt their stray cow. Plus, unlike FB, Twitter's not blocked at work. :)

    Kathleen -- loved the First Communion pics. FB *is* good for stuff like that.

    OK, now I'm ready for ReSTART, LOL!

    ReplyDelete