Friday, July 19, 2013

AB+

My blood type is AB Positive which is really rare. Every thing else about me is standard issue. But this means my plasma can be used by anyone even though my reds can only be used by the other 3% of the population with AB+ juice.

Coincidentally, my wife also has AB+ blood. If you have AB+ you can use anyone else's juice. So I don't think it's why she married me. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

I looked this up because I'm donating next week. I thought the lady was making up the universal plasma thing so I looked it up and found out she was right. You learn something new every week, as they say.

5 comments:

  1. Sort of rare, Pauli, but it happens. I too am AB+.

    We'd better not publicize this or someone at a University will conclude that AB+ blood type correlates with being a gun-crazed reactionary knee-jerk intolerant Catholic right-winger. (Or gets a grant to "prove" such a thing.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought O+ was the universal donor, which meant anyone could receive my blood. According to that site, it seems only people with +blood types can. Which includes you, Pauli, so you are in luck. Or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right in one sense, Barb. AB+ is the universal acceptor of whole blood, and O+ is the universal donor of whole blood.

    Plasma is different, as Pauli mentions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. O- is the universal donor. Supposedly this is the type they found on the Shroud of Turin which is sort of cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I know is I'm not gonna let anybody impurify any of my precious bodily fluids.

    Keith

    ReplyDelete