Sunday, September 8, 2013

More Topix Action

There has been a lot of action over at the famous Topix post hilariously titled "Rod Dreher is on the cover of the latest Greater B. R. Business Report" on page 6 and page 7. The most recent accusation toward Billfr and me is that we are the same person. Here's part of my response, which you can read in its entirety on page 7.

His over-sharing of these kinds of things is nauseating to normal people, yet he is praised by many for being a courageous and creative journalist by many. And yes, I admit that he had many fans, and many people who believe him to be a wonderful and insightful writer. So the least that people like Countrylad can do is admit that there are *MANY* people – more than two — who find him disagreeable and obnoxious when he bashes the Catholic church, for example, or when he goes ballistic over Mark Levin's slip-up, or when he over-capitalizes on a family tragedy, or when he goes on about the "platonic ideal of chickenness" (feel free to Google that phrase). A lot of these people have found a home at my blog to vent about the content and style of his writing and there is nothing "circular" about their reasoning and there is nothing ad hominem about their criticism.

Now I know that a lot of people here believe that Countrylad is Rod Dreher. I'm going on the record now suggesting that it is not. I know he sounds like Dreher often, but I think he is just another local log-rolling partner of Dreher's. The more I read his weak stick apologetics for Dreher by attacking the opposition the more I feel like I'm doing the right thing by continuing the steady drumbeat of criticism.

And while we're on the topic, check out this recent one-star review of The Little Way of Ruthie Leming:

Embarrassing, condescending, passive aggressive backbiting
August 23, 2013 by hallowmetrop

I bought this book because of my interests in localism, the alternatives presented by small communities in contrast to metropolitan areas, family, the South, and religion. But it was an unpleasant read, because Rod Dreher is just not a pleasant traveling companion.

Little Way is weighed down with the author's bitter grievance toward his late sister, whose great and unforgivable crime, it seems, was to roll her eyes at the fact that her brother (the author) is a pompous and prissy character enraptured by his own voice. Again and again, the book goes out of its way to paint the late sister as cruel or rude or simple or thoughtless or otherwise unappreciative of Dreher's very special talents. Dreher seldom misses a chance to condescend to his late sibling. All in all, the book comes across as driven by a deep-seated selfishness - the late sister's life is reduced to a vehicle for the author's own personal growth story: "How All the Bad Things My Sister Did to Me Made Me a Humbler Man."

On finishing this book, the predominant feeling I had was one of embarrassment at Dreher's oversharing, and sorrow for the poor sister and her kids, whose family life has been so thoughtlessly hijacked and publicized by Dreher.

The author's conversation with his niece at the end of the book captures this all too well. In talking to this teenage girl, who has just lost her mother, the author cannot refrain from losing his temper because the little girl won't side with him, Rod Dreher, in his resentment-fest against her own late mother! It's hard to believe any grown man could be so mean to a teenage girl who has just lost a parent. Any reasonably decent adult would subordinate their own ego to the wellbeing of the kid at such a moment. But for Dreher, of course, the real wronged party isn't the deceased or her daughter, but always and eternally him. This book struck me as having a deeply bitter core, and shot through with passive aggression. I went in expecting to like it, but found it unsettling and unpleasant, and I would not recommend it to anyone.

I suppose that Countrylad thinks that this was written by Billfr, Pauli, Kathleen, Keith, Pikkumatti and Diane since we're all the same person.

12 comments:

  1. hallowmetrop: "But for Dreher, of course, the real wronged party isn't the deceased or her daughter, but always and eternally him. This book struck me as having a deeply bitter core, and shot through with passive aggression. I went in expecting to like it, but found it unsettling and unpleasant…"

    Wow, what a review! Much less forgiving than mine. As I said in my review, I thought the book divides itself into two distinct books: the Book of Ruthie, and the Book of Rod (the last 3 chaps.) Hallowmetrop definitely noticed the pivotal "dinner in France" episode over in the Book of Rod, which I now think revealed more about RD's character than he intended.

    And I think Hallowmetrop's conclusions are more than well confirmed by RD's subsequent bloggings about his deceased sister, which reveal a inner core of nastiness that a lot of people, including myself, find very disturbing.

    Pauli: "I suppose that Countrylad thinks that this was written by Billfr, Pauli, Kathleen, Keith, Pikkumatti and Diane since we're all the same person."

    Heh, you forgot to include me in that list. Yep, we are all the one and the same person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's much rougher than my review as well. But I didn't really find anything which I didn't expect. I already knew about the man's bitterness and tremendous self-regard.

      My review on Amazon is mainly meant to dissuade the general populace from reading it. OTOH, I tell everybody who has been following Dreher for years and dislike his disgusting and tired shtick to go ahead and read it because it will more or less confirm everything you know and suspect about him.

      Delete
    2. When I initially reviewed TLWORL, I was trying very hard to give the author a fair shake.

      But now I wonder if I should append a retraction in my review to cancel my initial recommendation.

      If RD had simply let his book stand as is and had said nothing more, then well and good; though problematic in parts, it might have been a passable or okay book, and maybe he could have gone on to write better books. But what I later found so very disturbing to me was the subsequent bloggings about his sister — or how that, as Keith put it elsewhere, the author kept adding "chapters to his book." In my review, though I didn't elaborate too much about it, I did take note that the author seemed to be having second thoughts about what he wrote, as if there was something in his own book that he no longer believed in.

      And then these added "chapters" kept getting stranger and stranger. They give me second thoughts about ever recommending a book written by someone who seems to have some kind of persistent psychological issue about his sister. Should I recommend a book like that? I guess I wouldn't now.

      But it was these added "chapters" that I found so unsettling, even to the point of where it became a little nauseating to me. "How can someone write crazy stuff like this about his own sister?" I would ask myself. There was something, to use my earlier word, that was just "nasty" about it all.

      Billfr put it a little differently in his own words: "…representations writhing and biting underneath with passive-aggressive subtexts both contemptuous and resentful."

      Added all together, reading the book and then watching the subsequent events unfold, it has been a pretty weird experience for me. Though I sympathize with the Leming family and their loss, in some ways, I now wish I had just stayed away from the book and never bothered with it. I think that Billfr was very perceptive in observing that RD is not the same kind of "story teller" as someone like a Garrison Keillor or a Justin Wilson. As Billfr put it, "… Dreher's efforts invariably reveal consistently darker psychological underpinnings"

      But at least I now know that other people from other parts of the country have had many of the same reactions that I have felt. So I guess I must still be sane.

      Delete
    3. One-legged strippers and Ruthie - oh my!

      Oengus, maybe (please buy my book) we (I made you think of strippers - please buy my book) are (I even said "titty" - please buy my book) somehow (then I referred to my friend James, you'll have to read the book to understand - please buy my book) just (did I point out he's a minister? so that's religious - please buy my book) not ( he preaches the Gospel, you know - please buy my book) recognizing (so, like I'm really a sort of Whore-Madonna universal archetype - please buy my book) the (but specifically just like Walker Percy, too! - please buy my book) richness (a sort of ambiguous Southern Flannery O'Percy, yeah, that's me - please buy my book) of (except I'm still cursed with this nasty dangling - please buy my book) our Southern writing Subliminal Man.

      Keith

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh. It just gets juicier and juicier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing that Ruthie's husband and children don't see Rod very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably not, but that sort of thing happens all the time. Remember in 1997, when the Earl Spencer electrified the world with that over-the-top funeral oration, telling William and Harry how their "blood family" would always be there for them? In the sixteen years since, I understand they've basically sent Christmas cards (some years) and that's pretty much it.

      If Rod was bonding with his brother-in-law these days, he'd be blogging about it ad nauseum. At least it would be a neat bromance coda to the paperback version of TLWoRL. But my guess is they aren't on speaking terms.

      -The Man From K Street

      Delete
  4. LOL! I saw that. What a beat down.

    Pauli, I'm with you, countrylad's not Rod Dreher. The voice is all wrong, and he's just slower. I'll tell you who I think he is, though, some close friend of his he's mentioned before named Bobby or Robby or something.

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He attempted to shame *me* for going after Dreher's niece because I mentioned the same stories that are in Dreher's book. That's when I decided answer back. I actually had another comment which was eaten. He went full-retard when he suggested that Billfr and I are the same person though. Very few people over there take him seriously now, I'm pretty sure.

      Delete
    2. He says his views were misrepresented, but I must have missed it.

      When you think you are clearly communicating your views and they are consistently misinterpreted then attacked based on misrepresentation, it is time to give up.

      Damn if that doesn't sound like a Dreher excuse, so it's understandable why people would think so, lol.

      Keith

      Delete
    3. I know, it's maddening. He claims we have a failure to communicate as if we misunderstood something he wrote or as if anything we wrote is unclear. We did understand and we were perfectly clear. The fact is we don't agree and he is not persuasive enough to make us see things his way. So he resorts to weird excuses. Typical.

      Delete