Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Tattoo Subtexts

I take many opportunities to point out to my kids that getting a tattoo is usually a huge mistake. It is obvious to people who think critically that tattoos invariably send messages to people who see them, mostly negative. Steve Sailer provides a nice, short quip about tattoo subtexts, quoting the New Yorker first:

Commenter slumber_j points to this New Yorker cartoon about "The subtext of all tattoos:" "Ask me about my parents' divorce."

Then he adds his own wisdom:

A related subtext might be: "I come from a long line of rash decisionmakers." On women, tattoos often seem to imply: "Pay attention to me because I, obviously, make poor choices, so you might get lucky."

It was so sad for me to see a thin, attractive sixteen-year-old girl with otherwise beautiful skin who had basically ruined the first impression she made by getting tats all over her arms. This was in the Rocky River, OH Target. Does she not realize that she doesn't need to call attention to herself? The subtext which came to my mind at the time was "I want all the wrong guys to pay attention to me."

I have many other tattoo disaster stories with which I could bore readers involving people whom I've known. Most of them involve the same sort of screaming subtexts. There are all kinds of ad campaigns going on to persuade people to not discriminate against the "tattooed", as if this is some type of genetic condition. If I were a minority who had suffered from bigotry due to my skin color or appearance due to my race, these campaign would enrage me. The "tattooed" have no one to blame but themselves if they suffer discrimination. Maybe I'll start a campaign which promotes this message: "It's OK to admit that you regret getting your tattoos."

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I don't get it either, Pauli.

    Of course I could care less what a dude does, but even a small patch of a lady's unmarred skin is pretty. And an even larger unmarred patch is even prettier. And an even larger unmarred patch is even prettier still. And so on.

    So why would any woman want to harsh that promise with some jarring permanent scrawling advertising something else?

    Camouflage?

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me it's the same old ironic "I'm trying to be different, so I'm getting tattoos like everyone else."

      But it's a shame that they are doing something so PERMANENT in order to reinforce their individuality. Put a Motley Crue poster up and, hey, at least you can take it down when you start dating a guy whose in the alternative/punk rock scene. They when he dumps you and you reconnect with your LA metal friends you can pull the poster back out of your drawer and put it back on your wall.

      Even all these disgusting piercings are for the most part temporary. Although I shudder when I see those huge grommets in the ears. What, I mean what, are they thinking.

      Delete
    2. I convinced myself not to get tatted way back when, by way of analogy. When I was nineteen, I got a new bank account and ordered personalized checks with a really stupid logo. Not offensive, just ultra-dorky. After about a week, I was too embarrassed to write checks.

      I learned from that to never trust myself with doing something permanent to reflect my then-current taste in anything. Served me well ever since.

      Delete
  2. a funny New Yorker cartoon! who'da thunk

    ReplyDelete