Monday, September 21, 2009

Vox Nova: "...we are all racists"

Sam Rocha from Vox Nova seems to be attempting to confuse the current race card situation further. If so, he succeeds. I'll attempt to provide some corrections in my response below.

We all know the drill: X calls Y a ‘racist,’ then, Y calls X ‘racist’ for calling Y a ‘racist.’ Then, others enter the fray and repeat the accusations. And this is a major part of what passes as “politics” these days.

Uh, no. The Democrats like House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Jimmy Carter (X) call those who oppose Obama's recent domestic proposals (Y) "racists", then camp Y accuses camp X of being a bunch of asinine political hacks, which is how those in camp Y perceive them. It's too bad this is what the Democrats seem to desire to have pass for politics, since they were the first to play the race card in this latest episode, and can hardly expect those whom they attacked not to defend themselves.

It seems too easy to forget that racism is not just a term, it is a real experience that happens to human persons.

This is possibly the stupidest line in the article. For normal people, especially those engaged in the argument, it is not "easy to forget" that any given word isn't "just a term", unless you are some sort of advertising copy writer, pop song writer or political sloganeer like Pelosi. It does seem easy for some to hurl the accusation out there, like tossing spaghetti against the wall, that some people in the Y group don't realize racism actually exists in the world.

Then Rocha goes on to posit a difference between a discriminatory racism which he claims everyone possesses and a capitalized Racism which includes supremacy in addition to discrimination.

In another sense, we all Racists but differ in relations and degrees of Racism and ought to try to eradicate the spirit of Racism from the human condition.

I like how he dropped into street slang there—"we all Racists"—to emphasize his point. It's cool; the bro is keepin' it real—don't fault my man fo' that, dog.

Attempting to sanely discern the difference between the two is what it would take to elevate political discourse on race from hand-wringing to an authentic consideration of what it means to be a racist in a folk sense of the term—a sensibility that doesn’t suffer from the need for these tortured categories.

I won't take further advantage of this embarrassment by quoting any more from it. My main point is that this is what passes for logic and thoughtfulness in the leftist mind. At least he admits that his categories are tortured; I question any need of them whatsoever. I've posted already on a few of the many successful attempts to provide sanity and discernment to correct the silly talk, and by them one can see that the political discourse has already been elevated on this issue by people like Toby Harnden, Michael Steele and Brit Hume. And since President Obama has spoken definitively on the issue stating that his opponents are not racist, the case would appear to be closed at this point. To behave as if no one has spoken with clarity, sensibility and persuasiveness in what Mr. Rocha calls the "Y group" on this matter is extremely misleading.

18 comments:

  1. Hello, and thanks for your engagement with my recent posting at Vox-Nova. I hope you will allow for a few replies:

    1. I honestly have no preconceived categories for the X and Y types I mentioned. I am only trying to point out a basic line of discourse. This is as much an indictment of the Dems as it is the Repubs. In many ways, as you noted here, I find the initial cry of "racism" by the Dems to be about as interesting as the little boy who cried wolf.

    2. We agree that unless one is some kind of sloganeer, it is hard to forget that words have meaning. And of course the Donkeys spew as much stupid slogans as the Elephants.

    3. Thanks for catching my typo "we all racists." I just screwed up there, nothing more. Certainly not some lame attempt to sound hip or cool. Again, we agree: that would be stupid.

    4. You seem to end on such a strange rant over the "leftist" agenda of my post that I am utterly confused what it may have to do with my post. You wrote, "To behave as if no one has spoken with clarity, sensibility and persuasiveness in what Mr. Rocha calls the "Y group" on this matter is extremely misleading." I do think that both sides ignore the meaning of racism and substitute it with overly-sensitive political correctness and prudish dialogue.

    This ailment is mostly instigated by the self-righteous "left" and then exacerbated by the defensive "right."

    No one is intended to win here because of my post. To be quite honest, my point is to make a simple philosophical distinction and advocate that it be included into political discourse--no political agenda to begin with.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have my own idiosyncratic usages, so I can't really object to Sam's decision to use the word "racist" to mean something no one else means when they use it.

    Of course, since no one else means what Sam means when they use it, "the fact that one person looks, sounds, smells, or feels in a way that stands out to my senses" is essentially irrelevant to the public charges of racism. (Except maybe the part about how other people smell.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do think that both sides ignore the meaning of racism...

    That is the point which you continually fail to prove. Obama said it's not racism to criticize him--is he a member of the "defensive right"? Stanley Crouch said the HL Gates incident had nothing to do with racism--is he a member of the "defensive right"?

    We (the right) are not being defensive here at all; we're the ones calling the bluff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Defensive" is another slippery terms. It's literal definition is "serving to defend or protect," but outside of sports that meaning has been almost wholly overshadowed by the psychiatric implication of excessive reaction to criticism due to some psychological issue.

    I think we actually distinguish between the verb and the adjective in common usage: I defend myself against an attack, because it is unjust or unfounded; you are defensive in the face of criticism, because in your heart you know you're wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have my own idiosyncratic usages, so I can't really object to Sam's decision to use the word "racist" to mean something no one else means when they use it.

    Reminds me of when my then-four-year-old used to insist, "It's not 'breakfast.' It's 'leega.'"

    He had other funky names for other things, too, but they slip my mind, alas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTW--pardon me for veering off-topic, but I just had two perfectly innocuous posts disappear from the Shea-Blog.

    Of course, one was critical of Shea's penchant for unfairly caricaturing and misrepresenting those who dare to disagree with him. And the other objected to the fact that one of his comboxers, the oh-so-courageous Anonymous, seemed obsessively fixated on personally insulting me.

    Shea is turning into the Charles Johnson of the Catholic blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I seem at a loss for words today, it's because I'm busy pondering "Reading, Writing and Speech as Erotic Subjectification".

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pauli and dianonymous:

    I am guilty as charged. I am an academic. With that vocation comes making distinctions that are not common and indeed can seem very strange. However, in my post I note this much. For the people who experience this there is no need for my philosophical distinctions.

    However, in politics, this is not the case. So, parsing things out this way was meant to offer some clarity to the fact that every act of discrimination is not necessarily racist.

    I have written about this from a personal perspective in this post:

    http://vox-nova.com/2009/06/02/experiencing-affirmative-action/

    I do not see why treating my academic work with sarcasm is needed here.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. but what if it IS "'leega"?! WHO ARE YOU TO SAY IT'S NOT 'LEEGA??!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "I do not see why treating my academic work with sarcasm is needed here."

    LOLLL

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL, Kathleen! I laughed so hard I almost choked on my leega.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sam, I was responding to Kathleen's "leega" post. :)

    BTW, off-topic again: What do y'all think about bloggers who spend a good deal of their time dissing their own comboxers--devoting post after post to telling their comboxers what creeps, fools, and cretins they are?

    Kind of reminds me of an anecdotae about GB Shaw. Apparently an audience booed and hissed a performance of one of his plays. Irate, GB strode onto the stage and shouted, "You're all philistines! Philistines!" To which one heckler responded, "And you, sir, are attacking us with the jawbone of an ass."

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, that's awesome. It's good to know yer Bible for moments like that.

    Sam, may God richly bless you in your academic studies, be they erotic or erratic. I hope you enjoy the non-academic free-for-all that sort of happens on our humble lil' ol' blog. Watch you don't get hit by tobacco juice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "non-academic free-for-all"

    perhaps the prefix "anti" would be more appropriate...?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Re: anti-academic. Well, I suppose if the shoe fits. I myself do NOT do well in an academic climate, and I am a two-time college drop-out. But I have respect for real scholars who are contributing substance. The problem is what I call the Education Industrial Complex. Simply put, there are too many people in college. They are learning nothing, they are contributing nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "But I have respect for real scholars who are contributing substance. "

    I do too, but I've found there are precious few of them

    ReplyDelete